Want to Make a Positive Change in the World?
Join Our Team Dedicated In Fighting Hunger in Alaska!
Major Giving Officer
The Major Giving Officer is responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating Food Bank of Alaska’s major donor program to expand the community’s capacity to support the cause of no Alaskan going hungry.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- In cooperation with the Director of Donor Relations & Communications, the Major Giving Officer will complete and implement a major donor plan for Food Bank of Alaska. This plan will take into account individual, corporate, and foundation donors, as appropriate, and will:
Set goals for Food Bank of Alaska’s major donor effort. Define Food Bank of Alaska’s major and mid-donor levels. Identify current and potential major donors, using the organization’s donor database, as well as appropriate wealth and giving search tools. Outline a process for encouraging new and mid-level donors to move to the next giving level Incorporate strategies into the major donor plan to promote estate giving. Identify opportunities, such as warehouse tours, for building donor relationships and connection with Food Bank of Alaska’s mission. Outline a system of effective donor recognition and stewardship practices, working with the Development team to maintain a consistent level of excellence. Identify a major gift solicitation strategy, for individual, corporate, and foundation donors. Include strategies for reducing donor attrition. Set both financial and activity benchmarks for evaluating the success of the plan. Maintain and actively grow a portfolio of major donors; Support the CEO and Director of Donor Relations to maintain smaller portfolios as appropriate. Solicit gifts from major donor prospects following the solicitation strategies in the major donor plan. Solicit estate gifts consistent with the plan. Assist with grant applications as appropriate, and complete required grant reports. Manage involvement of the Board of Directors in the major donor plan, including donor recognition and relationship building, and identifying potential donors.
- Participate as part of the Development team in planning and coordination.
- Assist with Food Bank of Alaska organization-wide events and other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to Food Bank of Alaska’s mission to end hunger.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred) in a related field and 3-5 years of experience in fundraising.
- Successful experience working with major donors.
- Compliance with ethical practices and donor confidentiality as outlined by the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
- Ability to professionally communicate with staff and volunteers at all levels of the organization, as well as with donors and potential donors at different giving levels, from varied walks of life and from different generations.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices and experience with donor management software.
- Familiarity with the unique environment of Alaska and the Anchorage area preferred.
- Detail-oriented, with strong accuracy, organizational, analytical, and planning skills.
- Initiative and independence in carrying out responsibilities.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize and manage multiple deadlines and a variety of demands.
- Strong self-motivation and the ability to be a positive team member.
- Must have reliable transportation and a clean driving record.
- Excellent interpersonal, public relations, and communication skills.
This position reports to the Director Donor Relations and Communications and is a full-time, exempt position for 40 hours a week, Monday through Friday. On occasion some night and weekend work may be required, in addition to the regular hours. The ideal candidate must be able to lift 10lbs regularly and up to 40lbs on occasion. The salary for this position is $62,000 -$68,000 annually. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Send resume and cover letter to: Food Bank of Alaska, 2192 Viking Drive, Anchorage, 99501, email email@example.com. Food Bank of Alaska is an equal opportunity employer.